Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
12:10 PM ET
* Late Barnes penalty secures 1-1 draw against Southampton
* Spot kick cancels out Redmond opener for the visitors
* Saints striker Ings goes off injured in the 27th minute
* Barnes booked after penalty appeal failed in 33rd minute
* Superb Redmond 25-yard strike puts Saints ahead in 55th
* Barnes volleyed against the bar for frustrated Burnley
* Barnes levels for hosts in injury time from the spot
* Burnley are at Brighton next, Southampton host Cardiff
BURNLEY 1 SOUTHAMPTON 1
Feb 2 (Reuters) Burnley converted a stoppage time penalty through Ashley Barnes to earned a 1-1 draw with Southampton at Turf Moor in the Premier League on Saturday.
A superb 55th minute strike from Nathan Redmond had given Southampton the lead before the late drama.
With the clock running down, Ashley Westwood lofted a cross towards Burnleys new signing, substitute Peter Crouch, and Saints defender Jack Stephens rose and appeared to handle.
Burnley had not been given a penalty in their previous 67 league games but Barnes kept his cool and slotted past Alex McCarthy to extend the home sides unbeaten run to six games.
Southampton, revitalised under Austrian manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, are unbeaten in five and have now claimed eight points from a possible 12 in their last four away matches.
Burnley will consider the penalty just reward after they had a strong appeal for a spot kick turned down in the 33rd minute when Barnes went down under challenge from McCarthy.
Redmonds opener was a fine solo effort, the midfielder picking the ball up deep, running at the defence and beating keeper Tom Heaton with a low drive into the bottom corner.
The introduction of 38-year-old debutant Crouch in the 76th minute caused some chaos in the Saints defence and Barnes had smashed a volley against the bar before he scored from the spot. (Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Ken Ferris)
This article was originally published by Espnfc.com. Read the original article here.